Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blogathon | The 411 On Carole Lombard

I first want to thank Carole & Co for hosting the Carole-Tennial (+3) Blogathon. If you continue reading you will find my contribution to the event...


 "I've lived by a man's code designed to fit a man's world, 
yet at the same time I never forget that a woman's 
first job is to choose the right shade of lipstick."

Before this Blogathon, I never new much of Carole Lombard. I knew Clark Gable was hopelessly in love with her and that she died tragically at a young age. My initial plan to was to check out My Man Godfrey (a film that is on my long list of films to see), but I just haven't had time to do so. In its place I have done a 'Star Spotlight' on Carole. Below you will find pictures, information, and trivia about this very funny lady.


► Carole Lombard (known earlier in her career as Carol Lombard) was born as Jane Alice Peters on October 6th, 1908 in Fort Wayne, IN.

► Was married to two of my favorite actors of Classic Hollywood: William Powell (1931-1942) and Clark Gable (1939-her death)


► At the height of her career she was the highest paid female star, making $500,000 a year.

► Unlike most other stars, Carole preferred NOT to have a dressing room in order to socialize with the cast and crew.


► The funny lady was known for her outbursts of profanity and came to be known as "The Profane Angel".

► Even a major movie star could love animals, among Carole's pets were dogs, cats, and even chickens. I loved learning about her rooster Edmund (I also have two pet chickens).


► Known for films such as My Man Godfrey (1936) (which she was nominated for an Academy Award), To Be or Not To Be (1942), Mr & Mrs Smith (1941), and Twentieth Century (1934).

► Missed out on a few, now famous, roles for other actresses such as: Mr Deeds Goes To Town (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), It Happened One Night (1934), and They All Kissed The Bride (1942)


► After her death the role in They All Kissed the Bride (1942) went to friend Joan Crawford who donated her salary for the picture to the American Red Cross (which had found her body).

► On her way back from raising $2,000,000 in war bonds, her plane crashed killing everyone on board. Carole was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Roosevelt as the first woman killed in the line of duty in World War II.

And there you have it, my contribution to the Carole-Tennial (+3) Blogathon. I can't wait to catch her films such as My Man Godfrey and To Be or Not To Be.

7 comments:

  1. I know that you will enjoy the films, My Man Godfrey and To Be or Not To Be. Thank you for sharing all the fun facts and awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the contribution to the blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally prefer drama to comedy, so I will recommend a couple of Carole's dramas to you. My all-time fave of her films is "In Name Only," with Cary Grant. They were great together.

    I also really enjoy "Vigil in the Night," with Brian Aherne and Anne Shirley.

    I also recently watched "Virtue," with Pat O'Brien.

    I know Carole was renowned as a screwball comedienne, but I think she was equally good at drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know Joan Crawford did that for Carole; an interesting tidbit of information and very sweet of her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice selection of pictures here. She was such a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there you go - one swell gal. And one swell post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Craig,
    I hope you'll get a chance to see a few of Carole's films. She really was something and her comedic performances rival any stars.

    A nice contribution to the Carole-tennial!
    Page @ http://myloveofoldhollywood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete