Monday, January 20, 2014

Book | George Hurrell's Hollywood


One of my favorite things to do on a weekly basis is go to my local Barnes and Noble store to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. I do this so often, that I have developed a certain route I take throughout the store. I am sure I know the store as well as the people who actually work there... well at least the most important parts.

Two weeks ago, while on my routine browsing adventure, I can came across a book I hadn't seen there before. It's always exciting to come across something new because it seems they rarely get anything new, as far as Classic Hollywood is concerned. As I walked up to my third stop in the store, I had already hit up the Bargain and Biography sections, a big beautiful coffee table book with George Hurrell's name on it caught my eye. There is nothing I enjoy more than a big coffee table book, especially when it is full of gorgeous George Hurrell photos!

'George Hurrell's Hollywood' was released on November 12, 2013

The book's title was 'George Hurrell's Hollywood'. I honestly didn't even look through it, I grabbed it and went on my way to the DVD section. I didn't want to spoil the fun of looking through it by peeking at the inside. At $60, this was going to be quite a purchase, so I checked the online price and found it for almost $20 less. Reluctantly I put it back and ordered it online because with the cheaper price and free shipping, I couldn't justify spending that much more just to be able to walk out with it.

Four days later my book came in and I was more excited than a little kid at Christmas time! I spent a good hour looking at the photos and admiring this wonderfully put together book. I haven't had time to read any of the text yet, but even if that part is lacking (which I'm sure it isn't), the gorgeous photos are well worth the money. 

Behind the scenes of Hurrell's work with Jane Russell

The book spans his entire career from his beginnings as a society photographer to his greatest works as Hollywood's premiere portrait photographer. All of his famous works and collaborations are on display in this marvelous book. His works with Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, just to name a few, are gorgeously illustrated. I would suggest this book to anyone who is a fan of George Hurrell's work. Below are a few links to my previous posts about Hurrell and you can flip through the book online over at Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment