Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Film | It Should Happen To You (1954)


As I mentioned in my review of 1953's Call Me Madam, I was able to catch a couple of films during TCM's celebration of the Best Costume Design during their 31 Days of Oscar programming. The second film was 1954's It Should Happen To You starring Judy Holliday, Peter Lawford, and Jack Lemmon. I really hadn't planned on watching this one, but when I saw it starred Judy Holliday I had to because I found her so charming in 1954's Phffft.

It Should Happen To You (1954)



In 'Born Yesterday' I got two mink coats - this time I get everything!

The Players:
Judy Holliday as Gladys Glover
Jack Lemmon as Pete Sheppard
Peter Lawford as Even Adams III

The Story:
Gladys Glover has just lost her modelling job when she meets filmmaker Pete Sheppard shooting a documentary in Central Park. For Pete it's love at first sight, but Gladys has her mind on other things -- like making a name for herself. Through a fluke of advertising she winds up with her name plastered over 10 billboards throughout city. Suddenly all of New York is clamoring for Gladys Glover without knowing why and playboy Evan Adams III is making a play for Gladys that even Pete knows will be hard to beat. [IMDB]


My Favorite Scene:
I found myself giggling a few times throughout this film, which doesn't happen very often. There is a scene where Pete bursts into Gladys' room to express his displeasure for how she has spent her saved money on this billboard. He goes on and on tearing down her actions and is just about to leave the room (which seams like for good) when he turns around to make sure their date is still on for the upcoming Friday. The perfect comedic timing of both leads was on display in this scene.


Trivia and Tidbits:
This was the film debut of Jack Lemmon, which is hard to believe because he plays this role like he had been doing it his whole life. He was such a gifted comedian. The on location scenes were shot during a 10-day shoot in New York City in July 1953.


My Thoughts:
I wasn't expecting much from this film about an out of work model who buys a billboard to put her name on it, but I was proven wrong. The film is full of heart and teaches you a very valuable lesson: Don't let your successes and fame make you forget who is important in your life because they mean nothing if you don't have someone to share it with.

Overall Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment